Friday, August 15, 2014

DIY: coffee scrub and green tea facial


are you ready to take your unhealthy obsession with coffee/tea to the next level? when I first heard about the coffee scrub trend (frank, luvbodyscrub, etc.) I was so upset I hadn't thought of it sooner. especially when I realized I had everything I needed to make it in my kitchen already. this made me go DIY crazy making all sorts of at home facials, toners, and scrubs. so much fun!


I've got three incredibly easy DIY beauty "products" to show you today. coffee body scrub, green tea toner, and matcha green tea facials. I used some mason jars for storage this time but any air tight container will be fine. other than that your only tool is something to mix with. I only make enough for about four uses at a time because I'm not sure about preservation time. fresh is always better anyway!


this DIY is so easy yet so wonderful! there are endless options that you could come up with on your own. I'll list what I think are basic essentials first and continue on with my personal choices. 

ground coffee
olive oil, coconut oil, almond oil, etc.
honey
water
sugar, sea salt, apricot meal, etc.
lemon juice 
cinnamon
orange peel
aloe vera
peppermint leaves
tea bag
cocoa powder
vanilla or your choice of scent

I know that looks like a lot but it's small amounts and you can do less or more. anything you want. while organic coffee is ideal any ground coffee will do. I started with flavored coffees I've received and that are otherwise going to waste because I like plain dark roast coffee. it helps add smell as well. coffee, sugar, and orange peel are for exfoliating. honey and coconut oil for moisturizing. cocoa powder and contents of a tea bag for antioxidants. I used celestial seasonings antioxidant green tea this time. cinnamon for breakouts. lemon juice for pores. be careful to not put in too much of the liquids. you want it to be a little sticky. just between wet and dry.  and just mix it all with a fork or whatever and that's it! use at the end of your shower. I put my hair in a ponytail and scrub from head to toe! leave it on to dry for about 5-7 minutes and rinse. that's it! you'll be shocked by your soft skin and yummy smell!


these are so simple I decided to tack them all together because there's really not a lot I have to tell you. literally the facial is simply matcha green tea powder mixed with a little water and honey if you want. I always make way too much because of how little it takes. i love the idea of green tea facials because of its amazing benefits like anti-aging! I leave it on until it dries, rinse and, pat dry. before I do facials I use my facial sauna. you can get one for like $25 bucks online or walmart/target. you can add essential oils to the water for even more benefits!

the green tea toner is also very simple but very effective. brew a cup of green tea alone, with lemon and/or honey. you can keep the tea bag for application or you could use a cotton ball or even a spray bottle. let it chill in the fridge and it's done. apply it and let it dry and you're done. unless you want to use a moisturizer then that is last. it's done fantastic work with my pores! 3-4 days is ideal time for a change but I think you could keep a jar for a week. I hope these things help you as much as they have for me! 





1 comment: